Monday, September 17, 2012

A few projects....

Since I no longer have a huge amount of stress on my shoulders from a full time job, I've begun "crafting". Michaels and Hobby Lobby are my new favorite stores! Most of these are fairly simple, but extremely time consuming.

I found a new website called Save-on-Crafts and it's awesome! They sold these styrofoam forms already in the shape of a tree like this for around $8. Then I took about 6 spools of ribbon and cut them into 3-4 inch strips. Then you simply roll the ribbon around your finger and stick a pin on the inside of the ribbon and push it down into the styrofoam. You cover the tree until it's covered! When I blog from my phone, the pictures don't show up in order, but the last picture on here is of the whole thing. I painted a 6" pot green and stuck stickers on the pot saying "Merry Christmas". I then spray painted the pot red and then after it was dried I pulled off the stickers. Then I used the Modge Podge spray to give it a gloss!
This tree took about 8 hours to create.
 
Our family drinks a lot of wine, so luckily I have dozens of wine bottles to create these simple little gems. You have to soak the wine bottles and peel off the labels. Then you just spray paint them whatever color you want (Nicole, these reminded me of the Vols!).
Before I spray painted, I did the same thing that I did with the pots, I put stickers on the bottles and peeled them off after they were dried. I tied some ribbon around the neck of the bottle. Now I have orange berries and flowers sticking out of them and they are displayed on one of our fireplace mantles!
 
Same exact thing as the Christmas tree above, but in a topiary bush type form. I love these! I think they are so elegant and i just LOVE Christmas colors. This took 10 spools of ribbon, though! You have to use Michaels', Hobby Lobby, and JoAnn coupons (b/c they all take each other's coupons).
Took a VERY long time to finish.
 
 
To get in the Halloween spirit, i took a simple wreath from the floral department and left it wrapped in the shrink wrap (or you'll get hay or whatever that is all over the place). This took 7 spools of ribbon and I just pinned them all around the wreath (you have to do the inside and all around the back edges as well). I went to Michael's looking for black felt to cut out a spider and walked by this spider already cut out for $1!! Score!!
This wreath took about 10 total hours.
 
 
More wine bottles!
The full thing!!

1 comment:

hughesfamily said...

Oh my gosh! You have done so much! I am impressed!!! It's all so cute!!! I may text you with questions once I get motivated to make something myself. Those are adorable. You could open an etsy shop! ;)