Saturday, August 6, 2011

The Cole Saga

I'm not sure how much, or if at all, I've talked about Cole and his spitting up. He was given breastmilk exclusively until last week. He spit up A LOT with breastmilk. Everytime he ate, no matter how long you left him in an upright position, would spit a lot back up. Caroline did the same thing when she was  a baby.
Since I have to go back to work on Monday, I decided it was time to stop nursing/breastfeeding. I have at least a 4-5 week supply of milk for him stored in the freezer, so after his check-up on the 27th of July, the dr said to go ahead and start mixing formula in with the breastmilk, so that is exactly what I did that night. He spent the entire next day projectile vomiting (ask my 2 moms!). It was out of control. We were told to stick with the formula to see if it got any better. It did not. He was no longer just spitting up, he was vomiting like he had the flu. I knew something wasn't right. So, I switched to a more sensitive formula. Same thing happened. I switched, yet again. SAME THING was happening. Only now he has something going on with his left eye, which may or may not be any correlation. Who knows.
I took Cole to the doctor yesterday to try and figure something out, b/c this frozen breastmilk is only going to last so long and then he has no choice but to start formula (yes, i know. i shouldn't have stopped breastfeeding. I have guilt.). So, my mommy diagnosis for him all along is Reflux, but now it's like a whole new degree of reflux. Is he allergic to milk? Why is he not tolerating formula? We are going to the hospital on Thursday for an Upper GI to try and get some answers. I'm sure it'll show Reflux (duh!) and we'll start him on medication. The doctor said we will then start him on some medicine to see if that helps. If it does not, then we will need to go see a Pediatric GI doctor. I have no idea if medicine will help with the formula situation. I started him on Enfamil AR (acid reflux) yesterday and he threw up no less than 3 times (we had 3 baths). This is EXTREMELY stressful on me b/c I start work on Monday and feel so helpless. Thank GOD his daycare teachers are so amazing. There is one more formula I can try and Similac is mailing me some samples of it before I spend any money on it. If that doesn't work, it looks like we'll switch to soy, which smells soooooo bad and did not make a lick of a difference for Caroline.
Anyway, he is a VERY happy baby and all of this does not seem to bother him. Case in point, last night- he projectile vomited all over me, himself, the floor, and the sink. He has vomit all over his head and face and he is smiling through it all. Precious, precious baby. Makes me sooo sad.


Yep, this is gross. This is at the doctor. I am actually glad he threw up in front of the doctor, so he could see that I am not exaggerating in the slightest bit. It was all over me & the floor. Yep, we had to go to Target afterward, too. Fantastic.

I'll keep you posted after Thursday's tests.

Photobucket

No comments: