Sunday, June 19, 2011

Life with Two and Bedtime Routine...

Many have asked lately how "life with two" is. I have to admit, it's A LOT harder than just one. I knew it would be, so it did not come to a surprise. I also knew that since Caroline was SUCH an easy baby, that I would not be as lucky with our second. Cole is the sweetest little cuddle bug on Earth. But, that's just it; he always. wants. to. cuddle. He has been a challenge as far as getting anything accomplished in this house. I never have the house clean when Eric gets home like I wish I could. Laundry piles up. Dishes sometimes don't get done until the next day. But, does it really matter? What matters is that while I'm on maternity leave, I am getting some quality time with my children. We do get out of the house daily, even if it's just to the mall to "mall walk". Cole isn't a huge fan of the car, but he is getting much better. He sleeps through the night sometimes, but the past few nights he has not. I am never going to complain about his needyness, because in the grand scheme of things it's rather comical and sort-of sweet. He literally screams until he's blue in the face if you sit him down for 45 seconds. That's why I always have one leg shaved and the other one not. I take 29 second showers. 
Caroline has been the best big sister. I mean it. I never dreamed she'd be so loving and sweet to her brother. When he's crying and I can't get to him that second, she is patting his stomach or trying to put a pacifier in his mouth. She's had her moments, though. She certainly enjoys running off with his blanket, trying to take off his diaper, or stealing his pacis. But, she doesn't get jealous of him when I am constantly holding him. Instead, she smiles and says "Bubba" with the sweetest little voice ever.
So, how is life with two? Challenging, but incredible. We are very blessed with two healthy babies and although we laugh at the circus we have going on in our home, we wouldn't trade it for anything.


So, onto a completely different subject. Caroline got off her routine while we were in Illinois at the end of May. She ended up sleeping with us while we were out of town and once we got back to Alabama, she decided that she hated her own bed and refused to go to bed at night.  She would scream all the way to her bedroom and then continue to scream and cry at her door for a couple hours. We tried to stay strong and tried not to go in there. Of course, we caved a few times and went in. She would then wake up at 2 or 3 am for several hours crying. That was 3 weeks ago that we were in Illinois. She still cries at bedtime and yells our names once we shut her door. But, now she only cries for 5-10 minutes and falls asleep. Hopefully soon she will hold our hand and walk herself to bed like she did pre-Memorial Day weekend.
Caroline now sleeps with an entrouage: Her bink (pink blanket), Mum-Key (monkey), Elmo, and Amy (her baby doll). She still sleeps with a pacifier, but we cut holes in it and she is caring MUCH less about it lately. She used to ask for it as soon as bath was over, but now she doesn't. We're making progress!!

1 comment:

hughesfamily said...

I love the entourage! That is funny.
You are doing AMAZING, Katie! I am serious- you are my hero!