Sunday, July 17, 2011

Potty Training! Oh My!!

I have been wanting to potty train Caroline while I've been home with her for so long, but she really hasn't proved that she's ready...until this weekend.

For the past few weeks she has been taking off her clothes, including her diaper. So this past week each time she took off her diaper I carried her into the bathroom and sat her on her potty chair (Dora the Explorer chair!!). She would sit there and try to pull all the toilet paper "Wipes" off the roll (so i had to remove the roll of TP). Nothing happened in the actual potty.

I didn't think she was ready because she wouldn't tell us before she had to go potty. You know, pretty important part of actually using a big girl potty. BUT, yesterday she stripped naked again and I sat her on the potty and she actually peed in the potty. HUGE mistake/coincidence that it happened, but her face lit up and her mouth opened up wide and she was REALLY proud of herself. Of course I made the biggest deal possible. I made her feel like the most special person in the world (because she is!). We called or texted everybody to brag that she peed in the potty. She was proud!

This brings us to today. We didn't go anywhere today, so Operation Potty Training began. We took her into the bathroom for what seems like five hundred times. She would sit there and play with the toilet paper and point out Dora, Boots, Map, and Backpack on her potty chair and not a lot would happen. I'm glad Caroline has patient parents. We sat there. And sat there. And sat there some more. She finally started going! Anyway, to sum up a day long story of going to the bathroom I will just tell you that she started saying "potty" BEFORE she had to go!! We'd race into the bathroom and she would actually GO! Yay, Caroline!! Of course her diaper was still wet every so often and I know we have a long road ahead of us with potty training, but what a great big successful first day of our mission!! Eric told her good job for saving us $1.00 in diapers today. Ha. Ha.

My question is this: Is potty training really easier than diapers?? I fear that we will be in the very back of Target with a cart full of groceries and she will desperately need to go potty. Or driving down 150 stuck in horrific traffic and she has to go to the bathroom. Will she use a public toilet? Do I have to bring "Dora" with us everywhere we go?? Help!!

My brother Kraig and his wife Michelle got Caroline a Potty Training Kit for her birthday. There is the funniest book in there that had me rolling on the floor laughing. It has stickers and a chart to reward the kids and track their progress. So, of course we gave her a sticker each time she went and let her put it on the chart that is so proudly on our fridge!
No pictures of her on the actual potty. Might humiliate her someday. Will keep you posted on how this goes...

No comments: